> Vermont Towns
Land Grants That Became the Towns of
GAGEBOROUGH. New York grant of 24,000 acres by Lt. Gov. Colden, May 10,
1770; included what is now Vershire and vicinity.
GATESBOROUGH. Township No. 43 on the plan of the state made by the
Surveyor General granted to Josiah Gates and Amos Jones and company to the number of
120, about the first of November, 1780. A charter of Gatesborough was never issued, but
the township was chartered as Salem August 18, 1781. See Salem.
GEORGIA. Town in Franklin County. New Hampshire grant of 23,040 acres to
Richard Emery and sixty-three associates August 17, 1763.
GILEAD. Same as present town of Brighton. Was granted by the legislature as
Gilead, and chartered as Random (q.v.)
GLASTENBURY. Town in Bennington County. New Hampshire grant as
Glossenbury of 23,040 acres to Captain Samuel Robinson and sixty-one associates August
20, 1761. See Arlington for the New York grant to James Napier.
GLOVER. Town in Orleans County. Vermont grant of 23,040 acres to
Glover and sixty-two associates November 20, 1783. Record of charter amended by inserting
the name of a grantee, omitted by the Secretary of State in recording the charter, 1845.
GOSHEN. Town in Addison County. The State of Vermont, February 23, 1782,
granted Goshen to Capt. John Powel, William Douglass, and sixty-three
charter was not issued until February 2, 1792, and that was in the nature of a flying grant,
no specific territory being granted. The Land Commissioners in their report to the
Governor and Council, March 15, 1788, decree: "To Capt. John Powell [John Powell,
William Douglass] &c & Company Eleven Thousand Six hundred acres of Land as marked
Goshen in two places to make up the deficiency of their Grant Granted Feb. 23, 1782."
These tracts are evidently the two gores chartered as a part of Goshen October 26, 1789.
A charter in accordance with act passed November 1, 1798, issued on the date late
mentioned granted 13,000 acres in Addison County, one gore between Walden and Wheelock of 7,339 acres and another gore between Plainfield and Harris Gore containing
2,820 acres. An act passed November 5, 1798, declared that all the land should be
considered as in Addison County. Part of Philadelphia annexed and the town of Goshen
incorporated, 1814. Part of Ripton annexed, 1820. Part of Rochester annexed, 1847. Two
gores in Caledonia County severed from Goshen, 1854. "Clemensland" in Brandon provisionally annexed, 1854.
GOSHEN GORE, NO. 1. 7,339 acres between Wheelock and Walden chartered as
a part of Goshen November 1, 1798. To be considered as in Addison County, 1798.
Severed from Goshen, 1854. Incorporated as the town of Stannard, 1867. See Goshen and
GOSHEN GORE, NO. 2. 2,820 acres between Plainfield and Harris Gore.
Chartered as part of Goshen, November 1798. To be considered as in Addison County,
1798. Severed from Goshen, 1854. Annexation to Plainfield authorized and annexed to
Washington Probate District, 1855. Annexation to Plainfield authorized, 1874.
GRAFTON. Town in Windham County. New Hampshire grant as Thomlinson of
23,040 acres to Jonathan Whitney and fifty-eight associates April 8, 1754. Charter renewed
July 9, 1761. Regranted September 1, 1763, to Jonathan Whitmey and fifty-seven associates.
New Hampshire grant of 1754 was confirmed by New York grant April 2, 1767. Name
changed to Grafton October 13, 1792. Part of Avery's Gore and part of Athens annexed,
1816. Annexation of part of Athens authorized, 1846.
GRANBY. Town in Essex County. New Hampshire grant of 23,040 acres to
Hall and sixty-three associates, October 10, 1761.
GRAND ISLE. Town in Grand Isle County. Name changed from Middle Hero,
1810. See Two Heroes, South Hero, and Middle Hero.
GRANVILLE. Town in Addison County. Vermont grant as Kingston of 23,040
acres to Reuben King, Sheldon Graham, Jonathan King, Daniel King and sixty associates
August 2, 1781. New York grant of 28,000 acres by Lt. Gov. Colden to Humphrey Avery
& Co., September 6, 1774, covered lands now in Lincoln, Ripton and Granville. Name
changed to Granville, 1834. See Avery's Gore.
GREEN AND MOULTON'S GRANT. Probably the same as Whitingham Gore,
which was chartered October 20, 1796, to Amos Green, Samuel Moulton, Solomon Moulton,
and thirteen associates. It seems highly probable that the Green and Moulton's Grant, and
Whitingham Gore chartered in 1796 to Green, Moulton and others are one and the same
tract of land.
GEENSBORO. Town in Orleans County. Vermont grant of 23,040 acres to
Cole and sixty-six associates August 20, 1781.
GROTON. Town in Caledonia County. Vermont grant as Grotton of 28,000 acres
to Lieut. Thomas Butterfield ands seventy-eight associates, October 20, 1789. Part of Harris
Gore annexed, 1890.
GUILDHALL. Town in Essex County. New Hampshire grant of 23,040 acres to
Elihu Hall and sixty-three associates October 10, 1761.
GUILFORD. Town in Windham County. New Hampshire grant of 23,040 acres to
Elijah Williams and fifty-eight associates April 2, 1754. Charter renewed July 6, 1761. New
York grant of 10,000 acres to Col. Thomas Howard & Co. by Gov. Tryon November 23,
1771, covered lands now in Vernon and Guilford.